Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry

What a quirky book. I think people will either like it or hate it. I’m not sure kids will get the humor ( too adult-like?) because it’s a parody of old-fashioned books and famous characters from classics such as Mary Poppins, Heidi, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and more. The story involves four children who want to get rid of their parents and the parents who want to get rid of their children. A nanny is hired while the parents go off to travel the world. When the children find their house sold and they can no longer live there, a wealthy tycoon across the street lets them live with him where they all find happiness.

I thought the start was slow and boring in an old-fashioned way ; ) I didn’t really start laughing at the sick humor until the kids pretended to be a lamp, fur rug, and other items in the house to scare people away from buying it. I thought the parents wearing crampons on their heads was pretty funny along with the glossary. For instance: UNKEMPT means untidy and messy. My dictionary says it can also mean disorderly, but I know that a person can be arrested for being “drunk and disorderly” and I don’t think someone can be arrested for being unkempt. Also, I don’t think there is a word kempt – so what is that “un” all about ? Beats me.

See what I mean about adult humor? Read this book to judge it for yourself. It is quite original.

Reading Level 5.2
:-):-):-) 3.5 out of 5 Smileys

No comments:

Post a Comment