Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Because of Mr. Terupt

This book is written from 6 different points of view. Mr. Terupt is a new teacher who tries to get his students to be responsible for their actions. The students like his class and method of teaching but when one prankster causes a serious injury, the students have to rethink about their behaviors and the consequences of how they treat others.

The chapters are short and the book is a quick read. Some of the characters are likeable and others are not. These fifth grade students have to learn how to stand up for themselves and know the effects of good or bad choices on themselves and those around them.

Several chapters in a row end with the kids saying how great Mr. Terupt is as a teacher. I found it annoying. For instance, on page 19 Anna ends the chapter with: "He wasn't going to let me hide all year. This made me nervous, but it turned out to be a good thing in the end." The next chapter ends with Peter saying, "Man, things were just so much fun with Mr. T." The following chapter has Luke saying "I think it was a case of Mr. Terupt being a special teacher."

This happens over the course of six pages and I'm beginning to feel like someone is hitting me over the head with the book shouting, "Do you get it? We love Mr. Terupt!"

 Just show me, don't tell me.

The author stops doing this and the drama surrounding the story picks up. The book was enjoyable and deals with issues of students being new, teased, bullied, and ostracized.

Reading Level 4.6

:-) :-) :-) 3.5 Smileys

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this book and I agree that it is a quick read. I like reading books told from different perspectives. It seemed to me that the students loved Mr. T. way too quickly. I didn't find that he was that extraordinary of a teacher from the descriptions unless they all had had horrible teachers before him. He gave them choice and some freedom but otherwise, he seemed rather average. He was a bit mysterious because he didn't share a lot about himself with his class. I think the ending is a little too neat and tidy for me and somewhat predictable. However, it is worth reading. I think the sections where the class works with the collaborative class provide very valuable lessons for all kids. It wouldn't be on my list for a Newbery but it is a solid read.

    ReplyDelete