Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Fire Chronicle by John Stephens

This was hard to read after the fun I had reading The Vengekeep Prophecies and Deadweather and Sunrise. I needed another edit with more concentration on the plot and less meandering. I skipped along the surface like a rock on water. Of course I have a stack of 30 books to plow through right now, so I might be a wee distracted. Not to mention a humongous order, a two hour speech to prepare for, and lessons for next week. This book reminded me of Michael Scott's series that involve a brother and sister along with a prophecy and Harry Potter (I typed Happy Potter and Harpy Potter before I got to the goldarn wizard's correct name...) with the Screechers like Dementors and a book that has invisible ink and mucho power. This isn't just any book, it is The Book of Life, except the boy that wields it forgets about its powers to heal in the middle of a battle. Duh. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Actually I'm chasing my tail. Talk about needing an edit... I feel like Harpy Plotter. Okay... I'll quit. Promise. 

Kate, Michael, and Emma are searching for their missing parents and trying to find three books that will help them save the world from the evil Dire Magnus. While Kate can control time travel, Michael has The Book of Life, that heals people. The three are hidden in an orphanage by the Wizard Pym where they are quickly found by the forces of evil. Kate gets sucked back to the 1900's by using the Atlas to save her brother and sister from Screechers. Her Dickens-type world is full of orphans, sickness, suffering, and magic. Yes, magical beings live with humans and it is the Night of Separation when they are being banished from living with humans. With the help of a boy and witch, Kate works to get back to the future. Michael, is on a separate quest trying to retrieve The Book of Life. He has to fight dragons, elves, guardians, and the evil Dire Magnus and his henchman.

Can you tell I don't really want to write about this story? There is plenty of action although the first chapter is just a boring retell of the last book. The author doesn't work it into the storyline while the action is happening. I did like some of the twists such as the Chronicle being able to see into a person's past. This allowed for the villain's to not be one-dimensional. Some of the plot is predictable and some wasn't. Fans of the first book probably won't be disappointed. It is really a story that is propelled by the action and not the characters or word-smithing. An entertaining read even if I had issues with the plot.

Reading Level 5.1

3 out of 5 Smileys


No comments:

Post a Comment